Thursday, August 12, 2010

ESSENCE MAGAZINE A FINAL THOUGHT.

I have really tried to not say much on the subject but feel I must to set the record straight. We as African Americans have been almost shut out of the Fashion Publishing this is true. I have held the post of Fashion Director of DETAILS MAGAZINE, A CONDE NAST PUBLICATION IN THE EARLY 90s. I may have been the first black male to hold a position of this type at a Conde' Nast Publication. I worked for DETAILS twice first as Market Editor covering the Domestic and European Markets. I traveled to the European Men's Shows twice a year to Milan and Paris were I represented DETAILS as FASHION DIRECTOR. This was diversity on the part of a  long standing all white corporation. I must add only Andrea Leon Tally at Vogue held a higher position in the company. I'm telling my story because, we have strived to gained a seat at the fashion table in NYC.  I have been very fortunate to do what I love to do in the United States. I would be terribly wrong to not wish this young women and ESSENCE continued success. I support Angela Burt Murray's decision. I disagree with the backwards racism that some have been talking up lately. If this same thinking had been applied to my career I would have not had the opportunity to be Fashion Director of DETAILS MAGAZINE. I would have not gone on to launch GEAR MAGAZINE with Bob Guccione Jr. I would have not been given these opportunities, if these companies had been fair equal opportunity employers could not look past the color of my skin and not look to my talent.

We have to grow in our thinking ESSENCE is owned by a white corporation TIME INC. We no longer own the Magazine as it celebrates its 40th aniversety. I applaud the Magazine and it's leadership.

ESSENCE MAGAZINE has shown this same spirit of diversity we have always wanted. Fairplay for all.

The position held by there new Fashion Director is yes one of the few spots to have in the United States. I also held this position in 2006. I was the only black male to hold that position.  I was hand picked by Susan Taylor. At the time of my joining ESSENCE MAGAZINE, I was asked did I think I was qualified to communicate Fashion trends to African American Women? My answer: yes, because I have good taste and a keen sense of aesthetics. I like a nice dress as much as the next man.

I do find it very strange that I was not asked by CNN, CNBC, GOOD MORNING AMERICA or other media outlets if I felt the show of diversity by ESSENCE was a good thing. I asked Michaela Angela Davis was I forgotten in this history and timeline of ESSENCE MAGAZINE? She wrote to me that this was a BLACK WOMENS ISSUE. So I guess my contribution in all of that history did not count. They had shown diversity in the past, why was this a problem in 2010?

I have enjoyed the spirited conversation that this has caused. It is healthy for us to check our selves and not be the bad guys on this topic. We as AFRICAN AMERICANS have not been treated, in the same spirit of fairness or diversity in the past. Let us never forget this fact or behave that way.


KEVIN CHARLES STEWART

3 comments:

  1. As a brown woman who has also worked w/ in the walls of Essence, but do not believe that they are as expansive (artistically, intellectually, fashion-wise) in their magazine as they should be in 2010, i say: WONDERFULLY PUT. thank you for your contribution and your insight.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you both. I was wondering if anyone had read this.

    ReplyDelete